Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Fabulous Food: Frogmore Stew


Frogmore Stew has become one of the highlights of our annual beach trips.  I am one that has to enjoy fresh seafood while at the beach.  So, for six years now, I have made Frogmore Stew for my whole family- 20 people now, 19 if you are counting the ones who can eat solid food : )  The ingredients are simple, but this recipe is always a crowd pleaser.  Nothing is better than pouring a shrimp boil right down the center of the table...and everyone digging in.  Even though, I reserve this recipe for our trip to the beach, you can make it anywhere and anytime, and it will always be good. 

Ingredients: This recipe serves 8 people, adjust quantities accordingly.

  • 1/3 lb. shrimp per person de-veined with the shells on (some suggest 1/4 lb., but the shrimp is the highlight of the dish, so don't be stingy) 
  • 2 packages Hillshire Farm smoked sausage cut into 1/4" coins
  • 1 ear of corn per person (broken in half)
  • 3-4 medium sized red skin potatoes per person (scrubbed and quartered)
  • Old Bay seasoning
  • cocktail sauce
  • 2 lemons cut into wedges
  • Hush puppies- I make mine from House Autry brand mix.  It is very good and very easy to make.


Directions:

  1.  In a extra-large stockpot pour enough water to fill it half full.  Bring to a boil and add the Old Bay seasonimg.  I never measure how much I use...I personally don't think you could have too much.  Generally though, I pour in half of a 6 oz. container.
  2. Once the water is at a rolling boil, pour in your potatoes.  Let them cook for about 15 minutes, then drop in your corn.  Let it cook for additional 2 minutes, and then add your sausage and shrimp.  Cook for three minutes, or until the shrimp turns pink.  Drain off the water.
  3. Cover your table with a disposable plastic tablecloth and newspaper.  
  4. Cut your lemons into wedges and put them in bowls around the table.  Also have your cocktail sauce in bowls around the table.  
  5. Pour the Frogmore stew down the center of the table.  Serve with hush puppies and chow down. 


There is no need for plates...just a large roll of paper towels : )  After everyone is done,  just grab the ends of the tablecloth and bundle it up.  Absolutely no mess is left behind.  A perfect ending to a wonderfully messy and fun meal!



Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I'm loving the sound of this but I don't have a clue what a hush puppy is, other than a brand of shoes in the UK and I'm pretty sure you're not chowing down on slippers! Off to look up Old Bay seasoning now :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny : ) I didn't even think about it. Hush puppies are fried balls of cornbread. You can see them at the bottom of the third picture. Do you have cornbread in England? I don't remember seeing any when I was over there. I know you can find Old Bay and House Autry hush puppy mix on Amazon. Good luck. I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just had a chance to pop back and check in with this post :) I've not had corn bread before but there is a first time for everything! I'm planning on an Amazon order and trying this one out as my man has just had a read and he thinks it sounds good too :D

    ReplyDelete