Thursday, April 25, 2013

Fabulous Food: Spinach & Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwich


I wish I could claim responsibility for this amazing sandwich, but alas, I can not.  This creation is straight out of the brilliant mind of Joy the Baker.   If you like spinach & artichoke dip and you like grilled cheese, you will love this sandwich.

I came across this recipe one rainy day last week and had to make it as soon as I saw it.  It is sooooo good.  And the best part was that I had everything I needed in my pantry and fridge. 


Ingredients: 

splash of olive oil
1 small clove garlic
3 cups (or 3 big handfuls) baby spinach
4 slices bread (I used sourdough)
about 2 tablespoons cream cheese
1/3-1/2 cup grated or crumbled jack cheese
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup coarsely chopped canned artichoke hearts, drained
1 heaping tablespoon sour cream
1/2 to 1 teaspoon sriracha
large pinch of sea salt
1 tablespoon butter, for grilling the sandwiches

Directions:   

Sandwiches are very personal so the ingredients above are entirely flexible and up to you!

In a small skillet, heat olive oil over medium-low heat.  Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. 
Add spinach leaves and saute until wilted.  This should happen quickly.  Spinach just wilts in a hot pan.  Remove spinach from skillet, place in a medium bowl and set aside.

Spread each slice of bread with a bit of cream cheese.  You don’t need much.  We’re using it as edible sandwich glue.

Squeeze or press as much liquid as possible out of the canned artichoke hearts using a paper towel.

To the bowl of sautéed spinach add, jack cheese, Parmesan cheese, chopped artichoke hearts, sour cream, sriracha, and salt.  Stir until combined.

Top two slices of bread with spinach and artichoke filling.  Make sandwiches with the two remaining slices of bread.

Heat butter in a skillet over medium-low heat.  Add sandwiches and grill until each side is golden and the insides are melty warm.  Serve immediately. 

(This recipe comes directly from Joy the Baker)





Just like Joy said, the ingredients are flexible.  I used what I had in my pantry and fridge- I used Tuscan pane instead of sourdough, white cheddar instead of jack cheese and I did not use sriracha.

(Recipe came directly from Joy the Baker website here. ) 


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment