Thursday, August 30, 2012

Have you seen this?...Tiny Desk Concerts for NPR

source
I came across these extraordinary, acoustic mini-concerts on youtube the other day and I have become time-suckingly addicted to them.  There is nothing like hearing some of the biggest voices huddled around a small desk with an audience of 20-30 people.  I am entranced with the trimmed down- no pomp and circumstance of these endearing performances.  And the variety of performers is amazing (over 200 artists have preformed) - from classical...to pop...country... folk...indie...opera...blues...it's all there.  If you have 15 minutes to spare and want to be inspired, watch an episode of a tiny desk concert.  It will be well worth your time. 

Here are just a few of my favorites:

1. Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes - I had to start with this enigmatic and very carefree performance.  I LOVED watching the biggest group to ever perform on Tiny Desk Concert- I have always envied people who sing from that "eyes closed tightly" committed place.



2. Phoenix - I love when you listen to a song...you really like it...and then you realize that you have heard it before...but it never sounded like that before.  You essentially fall in love with the same song twice.  Here is a good example of that. 



3. Tallest Man on Earth - these small performances highlight the best of musicianship.  It is great to be able to hear pure tones and see every movement of fingers as they bring forth amazing music.



4. Adele - I had to include her because...I LOVE her.  And I love how big her voice is in such a small space.  As I listened to her, it felt almost as if her voice was way too big for that tiny desk.  LOVED it...even though I will never be able to hear "Someone Like You" without thinking of the infamous Emma Stone SNL skit : )



You can find all 200 NPR Tiny Desk Concerts here.  Enjoy : )



(all videos are from Tiny Desk Concert for nprmusic)

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment