Thursday, July 12, 2012

DIY: Wish Necklace


I was inspired to make a wish necklace when I saw this necklace on Etsy.  As a little girI, I loved making wishes when I blew dandelion seeds.  I have seen my daughters do it countless times.  I really wanted them to be able to hold on to one of their wishes...so we went on a search.

A storm rolled over us two nights ago, and I think it made the dandelions scarce.  We drove around for 30 minutes before we came upon a dandelion patch.  Finally...


I asked them to really think about about what they wanted to wish for...and then blow.  We caught a few of the seeds and I put them in a ziploc bag with their name on it.  I made wishes for each of them and one for Jason and saved my seeds as well.  And then we headed home.


The materials you will need for this project are:

  • hollow glass beads (I ordered mine on Etsy here, but you can find them through many different   places )
  • 1 1/2" silver eyepins 
  • silver bead caps (size will vary depending on the size of your beads)
  • silver chain (about 16" for kids) 
  • wire cutters
  • round nose pliers


 Take a few of the the dandelion seeds and gently thread them into the bead. 


 Thread a bead cap onto a eyepin...


 ...and then thread the eyepin through the bead.  Be careful to not push the seeds out of the other end of the bead. 


 Add another bead cap.


Cut the eyepin to 3/4" length using the wire cutters.  Bend the eyepin 90 degrees to the bead.  Using your round nose pliers, bend the eyepin into a loop.


 And your bead is done.


Holding the top of the eyepin with your pliers, attach the bead to the link in the center of the chain.  Squeeze the eyepin loop closed. 


Your wish necklace is complete.  

I made one for both Ava and Isabella today.  Their wishes were so sweet...I wish I could share them...but of course they are theirs alone.  Ava has not stopped holding her wish since I put it around her neck.  It's pretty cool to think that she will remember what she wished for every day when she puts her wish necklace on. 


Next, I am making a wish necklace for me.  I am going to have three beads- a wish for each of the three most important people in my life. 

Have fun making your wish necklace. 

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I love this!!! I'm seriously making one! I haven't seen any dandelions around though... What a great necklace for Ava and Isabella. I know they will both cherish it :) and what a great way to remember everyday what your biggest wish in life is and to try everyday to make it happen.

    ReplyDelete