Monday, June 18, 2012

"Deference" art show: opening reception

It was a great weekend!  It began with the opening reception for my art show, "Deference", running from June 5th through August 5th at the Gaston County Art and History Museum in North Carolina.  It was a  wonderful gathering of friends and family whose support I greatly appreciate.

Here are the pieces that are currently on display (artist statement is located at the bottom of this post):

Family History Handed Down / photographs / 2012

detail of Family History Handed Down

Keys to Infamy / photographs / 2012

detail of Keys to Infamy

key to Keys to Infamy

Unwritten / 30"x42" / ink and charcoal / 2011

A Second Look / 5- 12" canvases / acrylic on canvas / 2012

Resignation / 30"x40" / acrylic on canvas / 2011

A Moment's Memory / 30" x 40" / acrylic on canvas / 2012

The Road Traveled / 30"x40" / acrylic on canvas / 2012

The Personification of Loss / photography / 2012

detail of Personification of Loss

detail of Personification of Loss

Artist Statement

def·er·ence/ˈdefərəns/ : Humble submission and respect

The images and concepts I have chosen through my career as an artist have been grounded in history.  As I was working on this show, I began to realize that I do not see objects as worn, aged or broken down.  I see the people, places and events those objects have encountered in their “lifetime”.  I began to focus on how objects are personified through the memories we connect to them, and how every scratch, tear or dent relays a history just as an age spot, wrinkle or scar does for us.   We tend to look past the importance an object holds when we do not connect a memory or event to it.  If we slow down, and take a second look at something we felt a moment ago was simply a button, could we see the importance that object has played within our history when it is connected to a monumental event? Does it’s status change?.  Could it have played a role in which it transitions from trash to treasure?  I would like for deference to be paid. 







I am so thankful for being invited to do this show.  

I want to thank all of the people who let me photograph them and who participated in helping the show come to fruition.  I love you all : )


...and a special thank you to Jason, my biggest supporter, my budding art critic, my true soul mate.  You are my one and everything : )  IWALY!




Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment