Thursday, January 19, 2012

Temporary Tragedy: 3 year old becomes her own hair stylist

 I want to pass on a cautionary tale that a lot of moms can relate to...I hope. 

Today...I was a flurry of activity.  I had sooooo much to do.  It was very necessary that I get these important things done.  So, I thought it was a good idea to distract my three year old with a cartoon, while I responded to some emails and returned some phone calls.  I turned on the tv, and got going.  
 
While I was on the phone with my sister, I looked back and saw Isabella holding a handful of hair straight up and ....snip...it was gone.  I went into crazy mom mode "Isabella, what are you doing baby?!!!!!!"  


I ran around the couch and saw this-



This was my first indication that the "snip" I had seen was not the only one.  My first look at her brought me to my knees and I began to cry. 



I really don't think that this picture tells the full story.  Let's look at it from the side...




...and maybe from the other side.




Let me go ahead and say that all of this damage was done with a pair of Crayola "kid-friendly" scissors.  Had I known that my child was such a fan of the mullet, I would have sat down with her and had a serious conversation.

I can't really explain why this "mistake" hit me so hard besides the fact that moms tend to see their little girl's hair as stages.  There is the small bow and baby headband stage when there is no hair.  There is the small clip stage when they start to grow a little hair.  There are also the big clip, headband, big bow, pigtails, pony tail and braid stages to look forward to.  With each stage the possibilities expand and you feel a little more freedom with making hair decisions.  

Needless to say, when someone says to you "It's only hair!".  Don't let them shame your absolute horror and distraught reaction to your child butchering their hair.  Go ahead and cry...for a long time if you really want : ) but remember there is a light at the end of the edward scissorhands tunnel.




I mean seriously...how long can you stay mad ?




Maybe long enough, that your child will have to learn how to tear or gnaw through everything in life.  There will be no future for scissors in this house. : )


No comments:

Post a Comment