Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year journals: the perfect New Year's gift


I am a sucker for journals.  

I buy them all the time...small, large, lined paper, blank paper, ultra girly, ultra modern, spiral bound, book bound, cloth cover, handmade paper cover...it doesn't really matter.  I just love the idea of having a place to record my thoughts.  Actually this obsession with having a written record may have led to this blog.

Food for thought.

Anyway, I was trying to think of a New Year's gift that would speak to what everyone does at the beginning of the year- make goals for the next year and reflect on the year that has past.

I decided that a set of journals (one for each month) would be a perfect way to keep track of goals and also have a record of the important events that are shaping the year.





1. I started with seasonally themed paper-  picking one design for each month. 



 I chose photo-realism scrapbook paper for my covers, but any paper would work.




2. I then decided on the type and size of paper I wanted for the journal pages.



I chose 60 lb. fine tooth sketch paper for my journal pages- my journals often turn into sketchbooks, so I like having a nice quality paper available just in case I want to draw something that comes to mind.

I also chose this paper because it was already the size I was wanting and the pages were perforated for easy removal - the less work, the better, when making multiples : )



3. After tearing my pages out, I cut the journal covers to be one quarter inch larger (all the way around) than the journal pages. 




4. Count out eight journal pages and mark the halfway point (on the top and bottom) of the paper with a ruler.




5. Draw a light line down connecting the points.  Center the stack of eight pages on the cover, and secure with butterfly clips.




6. Sew down the center line, making sure to go very slowly.  (If you go too quickly, the needle will punch the holes too close together and the back of the book will split when you fold it in half)






7.  Trim off the excess thread and gently erase any pencil marks that still show.




8. Now, all you have to do is fold the journal in half.






When you get done, the journals are the perfect size for you (or whoever you make them for) to reflect on the month ahead.












Stack them up, bound them with twine and write a nice note or an inspirational quote.  Why not be that person that gives others an outlet to share of themselves : )



I hope you all have a wonderful New Year!!!!



Pin It

2 comments: