Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Ava's Butterfly Birthday Party...


After the extremely long week that was last week...there were two bright spots- my bright white SMOOTH ceiling and my baby girl's 6th birthday!

As soon as her birthday party was over last year, Ava started to imagine the scene for her 6th birthday.  It was the first time she really had a vision ...and of course I wanted to bring it to life for her.

The theme was butterflies.

So, of course it started off with a butterfly themed invitation...




She asked for big flowers for the butterflies to land on...



I tried to line the walls with balloon flowers and have some of them coming out into the room- so it would feel more like a garden.



She asked for big butterflies flying everywhere...had to put my thinking cap on for that one.




I ordered butterfly wings from haloheaven.com and cut the straps off of them.  I cut the butterfly bodies out of black felt and hot-glued them to the wings.  There were two different butterfly shapes and several different colors.  I hung some on the walls... some were hanging from the curtain rods...all were hovering near the flowers.




She asked for cupcakes and an ice cream bar (mainly because she does not like icing...go figure)....



I found these awesome Wilton grass cupcake liners which were a perfect base for the butterflies.  I iced the cupcakes with vanilla butter-cream and then placed the butterflies on top.  I have been looking at these butterflies for almost six months...and I was so excited to be able to finally use them.  The butterfly toppers are real butterfly images printed on rice paper with edible ink.  You can bend or crease the paper so it looks as if they just landed on the cupcakes.  They are completely edible- really amazing!!!

If you look closely in the first picture...you can see Ava's cupcake sitting in the back...completely bare...no icing...she had her butterflies on the side   : )




She wanted pizza, fruit, pink lemonade and punch...





And she wanted all of her friends to leave with butterfly wings...




Ava's birthday party was so much fun and ended up being a great way to end a very hard week.

No comments:

Post a Comment